August 20, 2020: The Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning has published and commenced the dissemination of the Citizen’s guide to the budget for the Fiscal Year 2020-2021. This has been the practice since 2009-10.
The preparation and dissemination of the Citizen Budget is in line with the principles of fiscal transparency and accountability which are part of the broader objective of the Government of Rwanda to enhance good governance. This is done in collaboration with CLADHO in districts and UNICEF in schools.
The citizen’s guide is prepared and published to provide a summarized and simplified information on how government mobilizes and allocates resources among national priorities agreed during the planning process. The guide also provides feedback to the citizens on their ideas and contributions provided during the planning process through different community dialogues and platforms.
“I thank everyone for their participation and contributions provided during the planning and budgeting process for this fiscal year 2020/21. I take this opportunity to call upon all citizens to strengthen their participation in the planning and budgeting process including the monitoring and implementation of the budget and related programs going forward,” Dr. Uzziel Ndagijimana, the Minister of Finance and Economic Planning said.
The citizen guide includes
• A summary of our economic outlook and the medium term budget strategy;
• The FY2020/21 national budget;
• The budget process and how citizens participate;
• Key policy measures and interventions for economic recovery and transformation from the COVID-19;
• Key strategic projects under different sectors;
• Gender mainstreaming in the FY 2020-21 budget and
• The links to budget documents and the role of different stakeholders.
Local leaders have been urged to deliver the message contained therein to citizens by leveraging platforms currently available and ensure to get feedback that will inform the FY 2021-22 national planning and budgeting process.