The Public Accounts Unit is responsible for building capacity among reporting entities in areas of public finance management, receiving reports from reporting entities, reviewing and providing feedback and consolidating these reports at certain intervals. The unit is therefore the interface between MINECOFIN and reporting entities in matters relating to financial reporting.
The Unit is currently headed by Deputy Accountant General in charge of Accounts Consolidation and Reporting and comprised of 11 staff members organized in the following teams:
· Training and communication; and
· Systems and procedures
Each on the teams is headed by a team leader with each team comprising of at least two team members.
Strategic objectives of Public Accounts
· Preparation of government wide consolidated financial statements;
· Review and provision of feedback of the financial statements of budget agencies;
· Monitor and Support the audit of consolidated financial statements as well as budget agency financial statements
· Capacity building of budget agencies on public financial management;
· Development and ensuring compliance to accounting policies and procedures for budget agencies;
· Support Implementation of accounting systems and CoA and provide technical support to budget agencies;