Amb. Claver GATETE was born in Mbarara-Uganda on 23rd May 1962. He completed his undergraduate degree in 1991 at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Canada; specializing in Agricultural Economics. He pursued the same course at the same University at Masters level and graduated in 1993.
Prior to his appointment as the Governor of the National Bank of Rwanda on Friday, 6th May 2011, Amb. Claver Gatete has been the Deputy Governor; a post he held from December 2009.
Amb. Claver Gatete joined the National Bank of Rwanda from United Kingdom where he was Rwanda’s Ambassador to the UK, Ireland and Iceland, a position he held from November 2005 to December 2009.
From November 2003 to September 2005, Amb. Claver Gatete was the Secretary General and Secretary to the Treasury in the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning. From October 2001 to May 2005, he worked in the Office of the President as a Personal Representative of the President on NEPAD Steering Committee; Coordinator of the National African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM), member of the APR National Commission; and Member of the NEPAD’s African Partnership Forum (APF).
At the Office of the President, Amb. Claver Gatete had also served as Director General for social and economic Affairs and member of the Presidential Advisory Council between July 2000 and October 2003.
Before joining the Office of the President, Amb. Claver Gatete worked with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – Kigali-Rwanda, between 1997 and 2000 as the National Economist.
Upon completion of his undergraduate and Post Graduate studies, Amb. Gatete worked in
Canada as an Economist between 1991 and 1997; Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Statistics
Canada, University of British Columbia and Algonquin College.
Amb. Claver Gatete has held various positions at Key Boards of Directors including: Rwanda Revenue Authority where he was Chairman (2001-03); School of Finance and Banking as Chairman (2003-05); member of the Board of the National Bank of Rwanda (2003-05); National Privatization Technical Committee as Chairman (2003-05); and Community Development Fund as Vice-Chairman (2003-05). He also held positions in other key frameworks including: Chairman of the National Treasury Management Committee (2003-05); Development Partners Coordination Group – Co-Chair, together with UN Resident Coordinator (Jan. 2004 – Sept. 05).
Amb. Claver Gatete’s publications include:
· Canadian Agri-food Medium Term Policy Baseline (with Merritt Cluff, Hsin Huang, Rebecca Ewing and Mitch Wensley). Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, December, 1997.
· Pacific Food Outlook (with Brad Gilmour and Lars Brink). Pacific Economic Cooperation Council, Nov. 1997, pp.22.
· Econometric Analysis of the Coffee Supply in Rwanda. U.B.C., Department of Agricultural Economics Working Paper, (1996).
· Analysis of Kenyan Coffee Supply Response (with Mary Bohman and James Vercammen). Paper presented to WAEC-CAEFMS conference, Edmonton, July, 1993. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 40 (1993) No.4, PP. 506.
· Economic Analysis of Coffee Supply in Kenya. Msc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., 1993.
· Optimal Hedging under Alternative Capital Structures and Risk Aversion: Comment (with Victor Gaspar and James Vercammen). Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 40 (1992) PP.499.
· Unpublished reports and documents on Rwandan economic development in the areas of NEPAD & African Peer Review Mechanism, trade & investments, economic reforms, poverty reduction and aid coordination & management.