The Office of the Chief Internal Auditor (OCIA)
The Office of Chief the Internal Audit (OCIA) supports Ministries, Districts and Agencies (MDAs) make informed decisions, use resources effectively and efficiently, and satisfy their respective statutory and fiduciary responsibilities.
To help MDAs ensure efficient, effective and accountable use of public resources by providing them with analysis, appraisals and recommendations about activities and systems reviewed. Specific objectives: To meet our mission and the above mentioned core objective, OCIA will achieve the following:
· Set up a strong and effective Internal Audit function in public entities;
· Ensure capacity building for Internal Auditors;
· Provide guidance and oversight to Internal Auditors across the country in different MDAs.
· Initiate preventive and corrective measures to improve quality of Public Financial Management;
· Carry out reviews, analysis and appraisals of activities in various public institutions to ensure whether resources are used effectively and efficiently.
Duties and Responsibilities OCIA Department
To meet the above objectives, the OCIA shall discharge the following responsibilities:
·Supervise and co-ordinate the internal audit function across all government institutions;
· Formulate and disseminate internal audit regulations, uniform standards, policies, guidelines, audit methodology, etc.
·Lead an annual planning process for the internal activities throughout the Government;
· Arrange appropriate continuous professional development of Internal Auditors;
·Provide quality assurance and producing a consolidated annual internal audit report;
· Conduct internal audits in central government institutions including ministries, embassies, etc;
·Conduct internal audits in local government institutions including districts and other services operating at districts level such as Schools, District Hospitals and Prisons.
·Perform any ad hoc investigative assignments in any government entity.
Audit committee handbook:
The audit committee handbook elaborates the responsibilities of audit committees in Government as contained in Art.3 of Ministerial Instructions no 004/09/10/Min of 01/10/2009 for the establishment of the audit committees in public entities, local government entities and autonomous and semi-autonomous public entities and the Audit Committee Charter issues in July 2011.
1. OCIA 2013-2018 Strategic Plan
Gives the internal audit function in GoR a road map to develop the right skills, right reporting relationships, right tools and technology, right procedures and management structures to position itself to provide high quality service.
2. Government of Rwanda Internal audit procedures manual:
This Internal Audit Procedures Manual set out the procedures to be followed by Government Internal Auditors in providing Internal Audit services to Ministries, Districts and Agencies. Procedures set in the volume are based on International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing issued by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
For more information click here